Followers

WELCOME

Knowledge, inspiration, and encouragement from a Christian perspective is my goal. I post a weekly commentary, which could be about world events or the events of my week. Other days I might share stories, recipes, homemaking tips, book reviews, political talk, biblical truth, or other blogs and websites I like. This blog is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

CHANGE ISN'T ALWAYS GOOD part 2

Yesterday I wrote about the ACLJ and how this organization fights for our freedoms everyday.  A few years ago I didn't know what ACLJ stood for.  After finding out, I was embarrassed because so many of these legal battles directly affect me and my way of life.  I wanted to inform others about what the ACLJ is doing so you can also be aware and so you can support this organization, either financially or through your prayers. 

The American Center for Law & Justice is led by Chief Council, Jay Sekulow and it focuses on constitutional and human rights law worldwide.  Based in Washington, DC with affiliated offices in Israel, Russia, Kenya, France, Pakistan, and Zimbabwe, ACLJ is pro-life and dedicated to the ideal that religious freedom and freedom of speech are inalienable, God-given rights for all people.

Every day in this country our right to speak freely is challenged.  The ACLJ is busy defending the constitutional right of our religious leaders to speak freely about the tenets of their faith.  Under Hate Crimes law a pastor could face charges if he delivers a sermon on the biblical perspective of homosexuality and someone who hears the sermon commits a violent act against a homosexual.  Hate Crimes law creates separate classes of victims and makes it a more serious crime to commit a violent act against a homosexual, rather than prosecuting all crimes equally.  It puts homosexuality on a pedestal as a lifestyle that can't be questioned.  Anyone who spoke against it would be a potential criminal.

Now the United Nations has boarded the hate crimes train and is attempting to pass a resolution that would criminalize the proclamation of the gospel anywhere in the world.   The ACLJ is preparing for a critical vote this month on the "Defamation of Religions" resolution which was proposed by the 57-nation OIC.  The "I" stands for Islamic.  All you need to know.  Then we have similar whining from the Freedom From Religion Foundation and its claim that the National Day of Prayer violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment.  The ACLJ defends the robust history of prayer in this country, including presidential proclamations dating back to George Washington.

I find all of this almost entertaining.  It's sad, but it reminds me of little children in the school yard bickering back and forth.  I can't believe it's come to this.  People are actually trying to suppress our freedom of speech so that they won't be offended by what we say.  That's like knocking the sun out of the sky to prevent sunburn.  Do you think perhaps the sun isn't the problem.  Maybe the person who gets burned so easily is the one who needs to make a change. Grow a thicker skin or avoid the sun.

Tomorrow I'll talk about what the ACLJ is doing to address one of the biggest changes in our country--airport security.  And then I'll move on to much more fun topics, like homemade gift ides.  That reminds me, I have presents to wrap before they're discovered by snoopers.  Thanks for stopping by.  See you tomorrow.

No comments: