Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

GIFTS FROM GOD

Today at the supermarket I almost lost my cool.  The woman behind me at the checkout had a little boy with her.  As she unloaded her groceries, she pointed to a spot on the floor and said, "Stand right there!"  The little guy didn't budge.  So she yanked him toward the designated spot and proceeded to lecture him for not following orders.  She babbled for an entire minute, threatening to deny him everything from an afternoon at the park to his favorite candy on the way home.  She was loud about it too.  I think she wanted the whole store to know who's boss.

I believe in discipline, and I've used the "No candy if you don't listen" bribe myself.  But this woman was enjoying this too much, as if yelling at her child made her feel important.  When she finished her lecture, the little fellow had the saddest look on his face, and it took all the restraint I had not to walk over to him and give him a hug.  I hope that mother did give her son a hug when she got home with her groceries.  I hope she held him tight and told him she's having a bad day and she's sorry that she took it out on him.

But more than likely, that didn't happen.  That child will probably see many more days like today.  And he'll spend his life longing for any indication that he's worthy of loving.  The bible says that death and life are in the power of the tongue.  That woman spewed death all over that little boy's spirit.  Children were not put on this earth to be verbal or physical punching bags for their stressed-out parents.  Children are gifts from God.  Nothing makes me more emotional than child abuse.  Those who hurt children will one day see the wrath of God.

2 comments:

dsblanchard said...

Hi, Danelle,

You posted just before me at Ann's today. I try to meet my "neighbors" on Multitudes on Mondays so here I am. I love the beautiful presentation of your page! Someday I aspire to be so creative, but, then, maybe that's not my gift. Ah, well, I do appreciate the beauty here.

Your entry on the woman at the grocery made me sad. I repent many of the times I handled things wrongly when I was parenting my 4. I will pray with you (and I can imagine all mothers) that children will be spared the wrath of our stress. It bears reminding ourselves that who (and Whose) we are effects so many.

It was good being here today,
Dawn

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

It's hard when you see someone treating a child like this. All we can sometimes do is pray for them when we get to the car or home.