Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Saturday, January 23, 2021

IT'S TIME TO HOPE AGAIN

By Danelle Carvell 


I really felt it today... a severe drop in my hope. I woke up feeling beat up and pretty much disgusted with this whole thing called life. I can't blame it all on the covid monster or the disappointment of a stolen election. There are other reasons for the way I'm feeling right now, but I won't go into that. This is meant to be an encouraging piece, so let's get to the good stuff. 

I recently rekindled a friendship with someone by sending a Christmas card. I do crazy things like sending people cards out of the blue as a thank you for something they might have done for me 20 years ago. I just like to show appreciation and I like to encourage people in an unexpected way. I think the world needs more of that.

Anyway, I've been texting this person for several weeks about the election, and the last thing I shared today was a confession that I'm losing hope in the entire situation. The world is circling the drain, and all we can do is hang on for the bumpy ride down the sludgy sewer pipe. That's about how I felt. 

But I forced myself out of bed, washed my hair and put some make-up on, got dressed and headed to Goodwill to purchase something that I regretted not buying when I was there yesterday... a soft fuzzy pink night shirt to match my pink pajama pants. If I'm going to be miserable, I may as well be comfortable while I'm wallowing. 

I was within miles of the store when I remembered the coat in my trunk... a new coat from Cabelas that was meant for my granddaughter. It was slightly too small for her, but rather than send it back, I decided to keep it and pray for that pretty blue hooded coat with lined pockets to find its way to the right person who needs it. 

For almost two months I drove around with that coat in my trunk, I was keeping my eye out for someone who appeared to be the right size, a girl who appeared to be in need of a coat. I had been at Goodwill yesterday, but didn't feel an opportunity to offer the coat to anyone. "I want to find the girl who belongs to that coat," I said out loud as I made the final turn toward Goodwill. 

As I walked toward the door, two young girls ran out of the store followed by a woman I assumed was their mother. The older girl was wearing a light jacket that would have been more appropriate for fall than a cold day in January. I mulled it over for only a few seconds before a burst of courage took over me.

"Excuse me," I said to the woman. "I'm going out on a limb here, because I don't know how you're going to take this, but I have been driving around with this new coat in my car, hoping to give it to someone. It was too small for my granddaughter." 

Her facial expression was shock and confusion. I think at that point she thought I was trying to sell it. How often does a stranger pull a new coat out of a trunk? After convincing her that I would rather give it to her than donate it, she agreed to look at it. Her instant smile when I pulled away the plastic, and then what she said next, let me know I had chosen the right person.

"You know what? I bought a pair of snow pants for my daughter and haven't been able to find a coat that matches. That shade of purple right there will match those pants perfectly." What a lift to my spirit! What an answer to prayer...and so quickly. From the time I spoke that prayer to the time I handed over that coat couldn't have been more than five minutes. 

The mom was so appreciative. Her girls had already jumped into the back seat and I'm not sure they knew what was going on, but one of them was going to be happy about her new coat. My guess is that their mom had been praying too. She prays for her girls and for their needs to be met. And that is what brought us together today..those prayers. 

All this tension we've been enduring with covid and the election has taken its toll on all of us. But I was reminded today that we still have a God who cares about us and the things that we need. My hope has floated back to the top where it belongs. It's time to hope again.   

For more on guarding against a deferred hope that causes discouragement and even bitterness, read today's Give Him 15 Daily Prayer with Dutch Sheets titled, It's Time to Hope Again on You Tube  https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwKxaa99WYvU8uJ5LR4AaABCQ


 


 


  

No comments: