Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Thursday, July 27, 2023

ARE YOU AN ENCOURAGER?


To someone going through a hardship, there is nothing more refreshing than an encouraging word or deed. Encouragement might be the greatest need in our world today. According to a recent poll, half of all Americans feel alone or left out, and they feel that no one knows them well. 

We live in a culture right now where there are so many discouraging messages coming at us. Mean-spirited people are everywhere, especially online. We even have a name for these online bullies--trolls.

People are desperate today to hear that they are valuable, that their lives matter, and they are loved and needed. In the above video, Pastor Greg Laurie gives examples of how our discouraging culture is affecting the mental health of not just our nation, but the entire world. 

I remember well the people in my life who have encouraged me. I had a high school English teacher who recognized my writing talent and encouraged me to get my work published, based on a short story I wrote for class. I had a professor in college who encouraged me to write an essay, which He submitted to a small publication. It was my first published essay. 

Then there was the letter I received from Kim Alexis, a supermodel from the eighties who is now a Christian author and speaker. I had read one of her books and wrote to her because I could relate to something she said. 

I was feeling discouraged at the time, and she asked me why I have such a strong desire to write and reach people. "Could it be that God has put this desire in you?" she asked. She helped me to believe in myself and move forward without doubt. 

Encouragement is extremely powerful. But so many of us are failing to bring this much-needed inspiration to others. In 1 Thessalonians 5:11 we are told, "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up as you are already doing."

Are you already doing this? Before you say something or post something online, do you ask yourself--Is it truthful, helpful, inspiring, necessary and kind? This spells out the acronym: THINK. Do you think before you speak or type? 

Are you always criticizing and complaining? Are you always pointing out the negative side of every situation? Do you love to mention the failures and weaknesses in others? Do people call you Miss negative behind your back? 

Or are you following what the Bible teaches and being an encourager? Are you good at making people feel welcome? Do you recognize the potential in others? Do you cheer people on? Do you mention their strengths and help them to believe in themselves? Are you willing to do what it takes to help people back up when they fall? 

God wants us to be encouragers in a world that desperately needs encouragement. What have you done lately to encourage someone? 






No comments: