Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Friday, March 4, 2011

FILLING THE WORLD WITH STARS

By Danelle Carvell 
Of all the jobs I've had, nothing compares to the role of mother.  And considering that motherhood is a job that comes with no training, I think I've done okay.  There were some rough spots. There were days when I didn't feel like a good mom because I was running low on patience.  I have memories of stressful moments that I wish I would have handled better. Every parent has those moments.

But when my son gives me a card that says, "I'm glad you cared enough to bring me up the way you did," and when my daughter spends hours making me  a mother's day gift, then I'm reminded that I am a good mom because my children know they're loved. I've made mistakes as a mother, but I never failed to show love to my children. I was always there, helping and encouraging.

Motherhood is a woman's greatest role. Not everyone would agree with that statement. Feminists who write books that bash stay-at-home moms would likely say that a career is what women need. But ask any mother who has a successful career what gives her the greatest satisfaction. Her answer won't be in her briefcase. It's the child she longs for or the baby she holds in her arms.

In over twenty years as a mom, I've learned a lot about motherhood. I've learned that children want two things more than anything: time and attention. Many mothers today are too distracted by work and other responsibilities to give their children what they crave most. They don't listen to their kids, so they don't know what's going on in their hearts and minds.

God expects mothers to be involved in their children's lives through communication and listening. He expects a mother to turn off the vacum cleaner, put away the work she brought home, and talk to her children then listen to the response.  A good mother guides her child's heart. She doesn't sit back and let the world be her child's teacher.

I've also learned the importance of a hug. "Neglecting to meaningfully touch your children starves them of genuine acceptance so much that it can drive them into the arms of someone who is all too willing to touch them." Those wise words are from the book, The Blessing. That book is like a parent's bible. It also tells parents they have the power to build up or tear down their children by the words they speak. Loving words of acceptance and encouragement make a child feel valued. And picturing a special future for your children gives them a positive direction to strive for. It fills them with hope and brings out the best in them.

Motherhood is a woman's greatest role because no other job prepares a person for life. No other job builds a child's character and personality. Children are a reflection of their parent's values. They can't help but become what they are taught.

A mother is a teacher, a nurturer and an encourager. And when her job is done, she won't get a retirement party or a pension. She'll get a child who has become an adult. There will be one more bright light in the world because of a mother who cared. Mothers fill the world with stars. What role is more important than that?

No comments: