Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Thursday, April 13, 2023

SOMEONE I CAN TRUST

By Danelle Carvell



                                                                                               

                                                    

There's a freedom in knowing who you can trust.

    
                                                    
                                                

Trust is a big word. It's so big that only one big person can live up to it. The reason that trust is such a big word is because it has so many requirements. 

In order to trust someone, that person must display a proven and consistent track record of caring for you, protecting you, standing up for you, showing up for you, looking out for you, never betraying you, and always being honest.

Who do you know that has done that for you on a consistent basis? Without intending to offend anyone, I can't think of a single person who has done that for me. And I have not done that consistently for anyone either. 

Trust allows people in your life based on their character and reliability. Trust is having faith in another person and having the confidence in their ability to protect and care for you. We normally do not want to associate with people we do not trust.

So what is it about God that makes Him trustworthy? We only need to look as far as His promises to us in the Bible.

  • God will never abandon you or betray you.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them. For the Lord, your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."  Deuteronomy 31:6

God will never betray me. And He will never abandon me. He was always there, even when I didn't feel His presence. My distance from Him was always my own choice. When I felt lost or alone, it was not because God abandoned me, but because I rejected Him. 

The reason why I know that for sure is because I am no longer rejecting Him, and I see the huge difference it has made in my life. The concept of God always being there is not something you could truly understand unless you begin seeking Him daily.

Not a day goes by when I don't feel His presence. He's there each day because I open the door each day. Even God can't walk through a door you choose not to open. People who cry out to God only when they need something might have a hard time finding Him. 

Are you quick to run and help someone who rarely talks to you? Is it easy for you to find your way to a place where you have never been before? Why would you expect God to rescue you when you don't have time for Him until you are desperate and need help?

  • God always empathizes with you and understands your pain.

"The righteous cry out and the Lord hears them. He delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalms 34:17-18

How many times have you been disappointed because someone that you thought loved you did not care when you got hurt? Maybe they didn't respond to your hurt in the way that you expected. Or maybe they made excuses for the people who hurt you. Maybe they failed to validate your feelings. Maybe they responded in a way that suggested you were the one who was wrong. 

Human empathy has many flaws. But God's empathy is always perfect and always comforting. But in order to feel that comfort, you must spend time with Him. Read His word. Worship Him until the tears flow because you probably need that release. And pray for your heart and mind to be filled with His peace. 

  • God always lifts you up and encourages you.
"God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you."   1 Peter 5: 5-7

Do you find people to be naturally encouraging? Do you come home from a gathering with stories about how this person encouraged you and that person said such kind words to you? I don't. 

I could put together a list of times when I found people to be discouraging in the past year alone. People are not kind and encouraging by nature. Even those who attend church regularly can have a mean spirit that's obviously displayed in the things they say and do. 

But God will never treat you disrespectfully. Why would He? Do you treat the things that you create with disrespect? 

Before you were born, God knew your name. He knows exactly how many hairs are on your head at every moment. My hair has been thinning since Covid, and I'm sure God noticed that. 

He cares about every detail of your life and He wants to be your source of encouragement in a world that can crush your spirit with its cruelty. No one else can lift you up like God can, so don't depend on anyone else to cheer you on. 

  • God never lies and he's always discreet.
"As for God, His way is perfect. The Lord's word is flawless. He shields all who take refuge in Him." Psalm 18:30

One of the fastest ways to destroy someone's trust is to lie. Honesty and trust are impossible to separate. God simply is not capable of lying because His flawless holiness makes any type of sin impossible. 

God also has perfect discretion. He repays everyone fairly. And he gets no pleasure from exposing your mistakes. God has divine discernment about everything you say and do, and He always makes the right call about your behavior. 

Unlike people, God is very good at maintaining silence when your conduct is of a delicate nature. He finds no satisfaction in gossip. You can tell Him anything and know that it will go no further. 

You don't have to worry about God hanging up all your dirty laundry for others to see if you have truly repented of your actions. But he has been known to expose the wrongs of those who refuse to turn from their wicked ways. His justice is always fair. 

  • God always offers hope.
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

I find it hard to understand where people get their hope if not from God. What keeps them going? What gives them hope for the future when everything is falling apart? How do they get through even a single day?

I am in the middle of a storm right now. I call it a storm because I choose not to share the details. But although this storm seems to have no resolution, I know that God is working on my behalf. I trust that I will see light break through the clouds at some point and I will again feel warmth in areas where I now feel pounded by hailstones. 

God's desire is that I will prosper, be in good health and be joyful. That does not mean I will not have to pass through some valleys along the way. But I know from experience that God walks with me, and all I need to do is stay close and He will lead me out of every one of life's storms. He has done this again and again. He has a proven track record of being someone I can trust. 



No comments: