Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

THE POWER OF CRYING OUT

By Danelle Carvell

If you sleep well, don't take it for granted.  Lately, every night when I lay my head down to sleep, it's like going into battle. I have my earplugs, my eye shades for the early morning hours, my aspirin for when the muscle and joint pain starts.  I have my melatonin, my herbal remedies, my calcium tablets, and my estrogen pills.  Even with all this ammunition, I lay there for hours but can't fall asleep. 

I hesitate to share this again,  but I must because I think it might help people who are struggling with just about anything. My insomnia started five years ago after a bad reaction to a prescription drug.  I've since learned that the drug Lupron causes permanent neurological damage.  

Basically, I haven't slept like a normal person for five years.  Sometimes I get a little relief and I'm able to sleep three to four hours a night at most.  But it's not unusual for me to go two nights in a row with no sleep whatsoever.  That's when things get bad.  Anyone who goes that long without sleep will begin to show physical signs of fatigue.  One of those signs is a nervous twitch that can quickly turn into uncontrollable shaking of the arms and legs, similar to a seizure. 


We're all struggling with something, and this is my struggle.  Sleep is very necessary.  People just can't function without it.  I'm very fortunate in many ways and I'm not writing this to throw a pity party.  I'm sharing this because I want to tell you how I deal with it.  I also want to share a small but mighty book that has the power to change your life as it did mine. 


The book is titled, The Power of Crying Out: When Prayer Becomes Mighty by Bill Gothard.  The author's discovery that the Bible makes a distinction between "prayer" and "crying out to God" is at the heart of this book.  Gothard also noticed in his own life that God often did nothing to help him until he cried out with deep emotion.  The Bible says, "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."  But as the author points out, our prayers lack the kind of fervency God requires for effective results. 


Another thing Gothard noticed was how the Bible reveals a pattern of God's people crying out and then He finally answers.  Yet many believers are unaware of this consistent pattern in God's word.  David found that when he uttered aloud with such deep and sincere emotion, God heard him.  Crying out is the turning point for so many suffering people in the Bible.  When Jonah landed in the belly of a great fish he cried out.  When Peter began to sink at the Sea of Galilee, he cried out.  When the Israelites were caught in the bondage of slavery in Egypt, they cried out.  Each time a point of desperation was reached, and instead of praying, these people cried out to God and He rescued them.


Fortunately for us, this phenomenon still happens.  I know because I experience it regularly.   I find that when I'm at my wits end, I'm totally exhausted, and I can't take another moment without sleep, I cry out to God in desperation.  The tears fall, my voice quivers, and I am crying out, begging for relief.   Each time I reach that point, God hears me and He allows me to drift peacefully to sleep soon after.


"God delights in showing himself strong on behalf of anyone who is facing an impossible situation," says Gothard. He offers many examples of this in the book.  A Michigan farmer got his sleeve caught in a piece of farm machinery and realized that in seconds he would be crushed to death.  He cried out in a loud voice, "Oh God save me!"  At that instant the engine stalled and he broke free.  After checking the engine, he found no mechanical reason for the stall.  God had stopped the engine in response to the farmer's cry.  


"It is the heartfelt cry that always reconnects the people back to God and His grace and mercy," says the author.  Scripture invites us to call upon God for help:  "The righteous cry out and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles." -Psalm 34:17.  This is a promise from God and there are many examples in the book that prove it's true, even today.  People with financial problems were led to answers after crying out to God.  A man who couldn't find employment for over a year was offered a job after his daughter walked to a quiet place and cried out, "Oh God, deliver my father from unemployment!"  When they did more than pray, when they cried out to God with all their hearts, God responded powerfully. 


"God's ultimate purpose in all creation is to demonstrate His glory," the author states.  What better way to do that than to rescue His children whey they cry out to Him.  Each time I fall asleep after crying out to God my faith grows.  I am simply amazed at the awesome power that's available to me and it makes me feel foolish that I don't use it more often.  Crying out is effective not only for myself, but for others as well.  I can cry out on behalf of my loved ones who are struggling or hurting.  God's timely response will always come according to what He determines is the best schedule;  sometimes God delays His answer the author points out.  But we must continue to cry out in faith if we want help.  


God honors humility, and there's nothing more humbling than being on your face before Him with tears dripping onto the carpeting, your voice so shaken that your words couldn't be understood by anyone but God.  Maybe this is what's been missing from your life.  Maybe this is why your prayers haven't been answered.  Yes, it does feel strange and uncomfortable at first but so is the pain you've been carrying. What if relief will not come until you swallow your pride, set aside your doubts and humble yourself before God, the only one who can really help you?

I'll close this post with the last few sentences from the book:  "Take your anxieties and burdens and worries before your heavenly Father.  Humble yourself and cry aloud to Him with all your heart.  He will hear you just as He has promised.  And your life will begin to change from that hour." 









No comments: