Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Monday, October 17, 2011

RECIPE FOR A BAD DAY

Many women have an emotional tie to food although they don't like to admit it.  After a bad day, a woman I know likes to tear into a bag of chips.  For many women, only chocolate can soothe the fallout of a bad day. Although I know that the better thing is to pray my way through a bad day, I do find myself reaching for chocolate when I'm feeling stressed.  Chocolate cake with chocolate icing is at the top of my list of comfort foods.  This is the best chocolate cake recipe I found and I have tried many.  The icing is from Martha Stewart and the cake recipe was given to me by a woman who once made and decorated wedding cakes.  This recipe makes about 16 cupcakes.  I would double the recipe for a layer cake.

                                                 One Bowl Chocolate Cake

3/4 Cup Dutch Cocoa
1 1/2  Cups Flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 Cup buttermilk
3 Tablespoons Safflower oil (I use peanut oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 Cup warm water

Directions  Sift dry ingredients beat on low speed.  Raise speed to medium, add eggs milk, water, oil, and vanilla.  Beat 3 minutes.  Bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes for cupcakes. 

                Martha Stewart Ultimate Chocolate Frosting 

3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
12 Tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions In a small bowl sift together the conf. sugar and cocoa powder.  Add butter, vanilla, and milk; beat until smooth and free of lumps.  ( I add the vanilla first and then add milk slowly until the right consistency is reached.  You may not need to add all the milk). 

No comments: