Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

AM I UGLY?

I overhear the conversations of teenage girls quite often as my daughter walks around the house with a laptop in her hands while she's video chatting with her friends. Recently a friend my daughter was chatting with casually said, "I think I'm ugly." I wasn't supposed to hear it, and I learned later that this same girl also thinks she's fat. In my eyes, she looks almost too thin.  And I don't see anything ugly about her.  She's a beautiful girl.

How do girls develop such a twisted image of themselves? They are so insecure and uncertain about themselves even when they have everything going for them. This happens when they look in the wrong place for validation of their worth. Instead of looking to God, they look to a culture that is obsessed with perfect images of the female form. They compare themselves to others and conclude that they don't measure up. Every mother should be aware of this epidemic of insecurity and self-loathing among teenage girls. Lisa Terkeurst has written a book about this exact problem. You can read about it on her blog by clicking the link below. 
 http://lysaterkeurst.com/2012/02/am-i-ugly/

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Awe thank you :)