Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Sunday, August 27, 2023

LET IT GO AND TRUST THE OUTCOME

By Danelle Carvell



                                                

Not a flattering photo, but sometimes life just isn't fun. I'm learning that there is a right way to handle disappointment. 

Are you dealing with a disappointment right now? Does an unresolved issue keep coming to your mind? Do you have conversations with yourself about your troubles? And are you wondering why God doesn't do something about it?

This morning, before we went to church, a subject for a future post came to my mind. I wrote on a post-it note "how to hand problems over to God and have peace." And I placed that note on my laptop. 

Then I asked Him to lead me to teachings that would help me write about that subject. Well guess what the sermon was about this morning--What to do when you don't know how to handle disappointment. Once again, I was amazed by the God that I serve and the way He answers prayers and guides my mind. 

Our hurts, our longings and our disappointments can be a source of distraction, anxiety, exhaustion and depression. Who hasn't dealt with a troubling problem and the disappointment of seeing no resolution. When God doesn't answer our prayers about something important, what is the right thing to do. How do we best handle it? 

I've had my share of disappointments in life, as I'm sure you have. And I have made a lot of mistakes in the way that I handled those troubles. I'm still making those mistakes, but I'm learning to handle my hurts in a better way. 

I don't recall getting mad at God for my disappointments, but some people do go that route. And it's not a wise decision because He can best get you through it. I'm still waiting for healing of a chronic sleep issue after 17 years. My prayers and closeness to God are what gets me through each night and the tired days. Where would I be if I allowed the problem to distance me from the source of my strength? 

I can't recall blaming God for a problem, but one mistake I have made is trying to fix things myself. God wants us to lay our problems at His feet and then trust Him with the outcome. But our human nature wants to take control and manipulate the outcome. We don't want to wait for answers. We are impatient. Instead of allowing God the time He needs to bring peace to the situation, we take the wheel.

When people are hurting or disappointed, they want their feelings validated. They want understanding for their hurts. They want solutions. They want apologies. They want someone to acknowledge the wrong that was done to them.  

But I can't convict a person's heart. Only God can do that. I can't be a problem solver without the Way Maker. In other words, the problem is not mine to fix. Yes, I can address the problem. I can plead my case to those involved. But once I do that, I need to step back, pour my heart out to God and let it in His hands. That is what I'm learning right now.

My hands need to be open. I have to let it go. My open hands represent my willingness to give the hurt to God and then accept His answers in His timing. If I hold onto that problem with a tight fist, I will end up even more disappointed. 

The question I've been pondering lately is... How do I have peace while I wait for the problem to change? The answer came to me in this morning's sermon--I must believe that God can fix it, but also accept that He might not. I do believe that God can fix anything, but sometimes He chooses not to give us the things we pray for. And we have to trust His reasons. 

We often don't see the reasons for our sufferings until years later when we look back on that situation and realize how God really was working on our behalf. We can see how He got us through it, and we can better understand why it worked out the way it did and why it took so long. God is operating from an all-knowing perspective. Our human minds don't have His divine wisdom in every situation. 

"For we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose" 

That scripture, Romans 8:28, is the answer to our disappointments, all our problems, all our frustrations, and our unmet longings. When you're hurting, you have to hang onto something. So keep repeating that scripture and believe that God is working it out for your good. 

Faith is powerful. Frustration is not. 




No comments: