Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

SUFFERING, BUT HOPEFUL

Many people are suffering. So I'd like to talk about the trials of life and how we can deal with them. For the past year, I have felt as though I'm being beaten down. Just when I think that I'm healing from one ailment, another physical problem bears down on me. Right now I'm dealing with tingling in my legs that won't let me sleep. It's related to a back and neck injury.

I'm told that any injuries to the spine and neck can cause all kinds of problems with the nervous system. I'm dealing with leg cramps and an annoying tingling that feels like water running through my legs or tiny pin pricks. I've had insomnia for six years, so this sensation in my legs makes sleep even more impossible.

Needless to say, I am discouraged. It would be very easy for me to give up on this blog and all that I'm doing to lead people to Christ. I may have to slow down, but as long as God gives me the strength, I'll keep plugging away.

There are times that God chooses to heal us. Sometimes he does remove our physical infirmities. But he also, at times, chooses not to heal. The Apostle Paul talks about physical sufferings and difficulties in the Bible. In II Corinthians 12:7 Paul says that he was given a "thorn in the flesh" to keep him humble. He basically said, "It's as though the messenger of Satan uses it to beat me down, but I'm not going to be discouraged. I prayed to the Lord three times that it would depart from me."

After praying three times, God said to Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you; for my strength is made perfect in weakness." Instead of getting mad at God, Paul says in verse 9, "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest on me. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Paul saw Jesus face to face. He was sure of his salvation. He didn't doubt there was a Heaven and that he would have eternal life. This certainty led him to have no fear in standing up for his faith.  He endured persecution, rejection, abuse and physical suffering because he knew that what he was preaching was true. He knew that people's lives could be changed if they would accept Christ.

The only hope of our world is God and salvation through Jesus Christ. People who think that this life is all there is and once they're dead they're dead, ...well they really have nothing to live for because the end result is laying in a pine box of nothingness forever. When you have the hope of eternal life, nothing can keep you down for long. A life in Heaven, free of pain and suffering is our blessed hope. It's what keeps us going.

No comments: