Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Monday, December 13, 2010

A MAGNIFICENT SOURCE OF STRENGTH

I'm really starting to realize what a commitment it is to blog every day.  I spent most of my day trying to complete my latest freelance writing assignment.  And right now, the last thing I feel like doing is writing some more.  But that's one thing about life, we don't always get to do what we want.  Sometimes we have to push through the things we don't feel like doing and just get on with it.

Every time I step on the treadmill, I feel the urge to say, "Why don't you just skip it today?"  But I force myself to take the first step and after about 20 minutes I know I'm going to make my four-mile goal because I'm feeling energized.  I feel a sweat starting to break and my mind is starting to clear.  At that point I don't want to skip it, I want to keep going so I can reap the full reward of a good workout.  Some call it a runner's high because the body releases feel-good chemicals called endorphins, but I also have a feeling of accomplishment when I step off that machine because it takes so much mental effort just for me to get on the darn thing.  I'm proud of myself after four miles.

Every day I come across some thing that I know I should do, but I just don't feel like doing it.  Every day I pray for God to take control of my day and show me the things he wants me to accomplish.  I pray for strength to do everything I need to do.  And He never fails to provide it.  One of my favorite Bible verses is, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  When God is the source of your strength, you can do anything.  That's what that verse means, and I believe it with all my mind.

If you find yourself unable to finish things or unable to get motivated enough to start things, perhaps you need to reconsider the source of your strength.  Are you depending on yourself, your positive attitude, a healthy diet or a bottle of vitamins to get you through each day?  Or is your source of strength more magnificent than that?

Accomplishing great things requires help from a great God.  Only a fool would choose not to tap into that.  Thanks for helping me to write today, Lord.  Now I'm headed for the dreaded treadmill because I need to work off some stress.  I'm inviting You to go with me because if You don't, I just might talk myself out of it.

No comments: