Followers

WELCOME

This blog is a place to chat from a Christian perspective about a variety of topics.

Monday, December 6, 2010

TODAY I FEEL STUCK

Do you ever feel stuck?  Just tired of going through the routine of life?  Your energy is drained and you wonder if you'll get through another day.  It's not depression, it's just plain tiredness.  You feel spent, depleted, like you have nothing left to give.  That's how I'm feeling today, so I guess that's what I'll write about, being stuck.

What do you do when you're stuck?  I think the worst thing you can do when you're stuck is isolate yourself from friends, family, and community activity.  That's what I really want to do when I'm burned out, but I know it's not a good idea because isolation only contributes to that stuck feeling.  If the problem is exhaustion, we do need rest and maybe some solitude, but what we need when we're stuck is encouragement, inspiration, a fresh perspective.  Those things can only come from being close to other people and being close to God.

When I'm stuck, I can't concentrate.  Everything I do takes twice as long.  I procrastinate.  Get distracted easily.  I daydream a lot.  I'm just in a different state of mind when I'm stuck.  I need something to unstick me.  Something or someone needs to lift me up again.  And that won't happen if I shut myself off from the world and ignore God.

I think God knew how I would be feeling today, because he booked an extra busy week for me.  Lots of activity is exactly what I need.  But I need more than that.  I need to spend time with the One who knows me better than anyone.  I need to praise God for all He does for me.  I need to talk with Him.  Pour out my heart to Him.

So many people don't realize how much they need God.  They don't realize that the frustration they're feeling is actually a longing for closeness to God.  He created us to have a deep need, a longing for Him.  We feel that longing every day from childhood through adulthood.  It's a constant craving that never goes away. 

I'm grateful that I know what I really need when I'm feeling stuck.  I don't reach for a bad habit to comfort me.  I reach for friends, family, and the Comforter himself.  I know I'll be feeling differently by the end of the week because I have the cure for this ailment.  I've been stuck before and I know how to break free.  I won't stay stuck for long.

No comments: